Cupboards Covered in Soot?
We are starting off our Blog with the Dos and Don’ts to help reduce damage and increase the chances of a successful restoration.
Fire & Smoke Damage
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls, and woodwork.
- Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely and prop doors open to help prevent odor.
- Wipe soot from chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim and appliances, then protect these surfaces with a light coating of lubricant.
- Attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting your SERVPRO Franchise Professional.
- Attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting your SERVPRO Franchise Professional.
- Attempt to clean any electrical appliances (TV sets, radios, etc.) that may have been close to fire, heat or water without first consulting an authorized repair service.