CAT 3 Water Damage
CAT3 Water Damage
When the unfortunate instance of water damage takes place in your life, know SERVPRO of Southwest Portland will do everything in our power to help. Here are some tips to keep yourself and your property safe, as well as aid in the process of the clean up. SERVPRO of Southwest Portland helping to make it "Like it never even happened."
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated from sewage.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after contact with contaminated items.
- Spread contaminated water by walking unnecessarily on damaged or wet areas.
- Turn on the HVAC system if there is a possibility of spreading contaminated air.
- Use household fans to dry the structure and spread contaminants.
- Use products for personal hygiene and cleanliness if exposed to the contaminated areas.
Sewage back up can occur because items that aren't meant to be flushed get flushed and stuck.
SW SERVPRO is the best
Shut off the source of water if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the water source.
Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building, when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
Remove to a safe, dry place any paintings, art objects, computers, documents and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture.
Use wooden clothespins to keep furniture skirting off damp floors.
Hang draperies with coated hangers to avoid contact with wet carpeting or floors.
Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature.
Enter rooms with standing water where electrical shock hazards may exist.
Enter affected areas if electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers or electrical equipment are exposed to water. Always avoid electrical shock hazards.
Leave books, newspapers, magazines or other colored rugs on wet carpets or floors to cause staining.
Leave Oriental rugs or other colored rugs on wet wall to wall carpets to cause staining.
Use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water, possibly causing electrical shock or damage to the vacuum cleaner.
Use TV's or other appliances while standing on wet carpets or floors, especially not on wet concrete floors.
Turn on wet ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
How Do I Handle a Fire Damage
How to help reduce damage and increase your chances of a successful restoration continued!
Fire & Smoke Damage
- If heat is off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks and tubs to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures.
- Wash both sides of leaves on house plants.
- Change HVAC filter, but leave system off until a trained professional can check the system.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out of the HVAC system.
- Consume any food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water. (They may be contaminated.)
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. Wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock, and air movement may create secondary damage.
- Send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set in smoke odor.
Check back next week when we start the Dos and Dont for water damage!
Cupboards Covered in Soot?
We are starting off our Blog with the Dos and Don’ts to help reduce damage and increase the chances of a successful restoration.
Fire & Smoke Damage
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls, and woodwork.
- Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely and prop doors open to help prevent odor.
- Wipe soot from chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim and appliances, then protect these surfaces with a light coating of lubricant.
- Attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting your SERVPRO Franchise Professional.
- Attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting your SERVPRO Franchise Professional.
- Attempt to clean any electrical appliances (TV sets, radios, etc.) that may have been close to fire, heat or water without first consulting an authorized repair service.
Demo Of Ceiling
When you see what looks like a little water on your ceiling, it most likely is a lot larger than you realize. That is when you call SERVPRO of Southwest Portland to take a look. We can tell you if it is worth turning in to your insurance company or maybe you should think about paying out of pocket to save your policy from negative marks on it. This home had an ice dam that got into the attic area, by the time the owners found it the water had spread causing more damage than they had first realized.
Call us twenty-four hours , seven days a week and our crew will be out there to assess the damage and start the repair to return the home to preloss condition.
Quicker Action Could Save Money
Quick Action Could Have Saved Them Money
This customer suffered a mold damage in their finished basement caused by overflowing toilet. The customer was away for summer and discovered the damage when they returned from an extended vacation.
Believe it or not, mold problems like this can be mitigated with the right expertise and equipment. SERVPRO has trained technicians that were able to test and remove the mold growth, and then restore the space to preloss conditions. The family was very grateful that we were able to recover their home and protect them from any potential health effects.
Every mold infestation is different, from the extent and type of growth, to the variety of materials affected. Each scenario requires a unique solution, but the general process stays the same.
Please call us at 503-777-9739
Living Room Under Water
Livingroom under water
When the storm season hits, we are there 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. SERVPRO has been in business for over 50 years in the clean up and the restoration industry and we have the 3E's (Experience, Expertise and Equipment) for any job. At SERVPRO of Southwest Portland "We can manage the Damage" and is proud to serve Multnomah County and other areas of Portland. The customer was overjoyed at the speed in which we were able to come to the rescue and when the work was completed and SERVPRO was able to turn their home back to them in a condition that was "Like it never even happened." Please call our office with any questions or concerns. Call us at 503.777.9739
Commercial Fire Loss
Commercial Fire Loss
How SERVPRO Professionals can make it "Like it never even happened." Pretesting helps SERVPRO Professionals determine what type of fire has taken place. Knowing the types of smoke and their behavior patterns are vital to proper restoration. Accurate inventory helps keep costs low and reduces job completion time. We can provide an itemized, area-by-area loss inventory. We pack out your household items and clean and store them at our location until we can return them to your fresh clean home. "We can manage the damage." SERVPRO is Southwest Portland is proud to serve Multnomah County and other areas of Portland Metro. Please check out our five star reviews on Google, Facebook and Yelp. If you have any questions please call us at 503.777.9730.
Commercial Water Loss
Commercial Water Loss
Founded in 1967, SERVPRO is a leader of water, fire, mold and other specialty cleanup and restoration services. SERVPRO's Professionals have responded to property damage emergencies ranging from multi-million dollar disasters such as the Pentagon, to those suffered by individual businesses and homes. SERVPRO Professionals have established relationships with major insurance companies and commercial clients nationwide. SERVPRO of Southwest Portland "can manage the damage" and get your business back. We are proud to serve Multnomah County and other areas of the Portland Metro. SERVPRO professional are trained and have been background checked. Your place of business could not be in better hands than those of SERVPRO of Southwest Portland. Please call us at 503.777.9739 twenty-four hours a day seven days a week.
Windy Day Storm Damage
Tree Falls On House
Storm damage is hard to prepare for. Wind and rain can cause severe water problems and your SERVPRO Professional can manage the damage.
- SERVPRO has been in business for 50 years in the clean up and restoration industry.
- Detailed communication throughout the cleaning and restoration process helps keep you informed and in control.
- Professional equipment and industry approved techniques can save you time and money.
Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, SERVPRO Professionals will work hard to restore the property and its contents to pre loss conditions helping you survive in a disaster situation. SERVPRO of Southwest Portland "can manage the damage" and strongly believes in the 3E's (Experience, Expertise and Equipment) and is proud to serve Multnomah County and other areas of Portland. Any questions please give us a call at 503.777.9739.